National Student Transportation Associations and Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) Announce the Winning Recipients of the 2022-23 National School Bus Safety Poster Contest
The national organizations representing student transportation are pleased to announce Avrie Siedschlag, a student at Coon Rapids Middle School in Coon Rapids, MN as the overall winner of the 2022-23 National School Bus Safety Poster Contest, an initiative sponsored by National Association for Pupil Transportation (NAPT), National Association of State Directors of Pupil Transportation Services (NASDPTS), National School Transportation Association (NSTA), Blue Bird Corp. of Fort Valley, GA, IC Bus Corporation of Lisle, IL, and Thomas Built Buses of High Point, NC.
The theme for this year's contest was “Safely Rolling to my Destination.” Siedschlag's artwork best depicts this year's theme by using creativity to communicate an important message meant to inspire and inform the education community. Siedschlag showcases the importance of following safety protocols throughout the ride to the ultimate destination for all children, the school building.
Poster Contest judges based their votes on safety impact, originality, artistic quality, and visual impact. Siedschlag's artwork received the most votes to win 1st place and overall winner among entries from 5 divisions with posters submitted from 22 different states, and it will be showcased during this year's National School Bus Safety Week, October 16 – 20, 2023.
While Siedschlag's poster was voted as the overall winner, each submission had the opportunity to win the contest, within their region. As national leaders in school transportation, we are also pleased to announce the following winning divisional recipients of the 2022-23 National School Bus Safety Poster Contest:
- Division #1 (Grades K-2)
- 1st Place: Kinsley Hornbeck, Washington District Elementary (WV)
- 2nd Place: Monserrat Morales Encarnacion, Beach Heights E.S. (MD)
- 3rd Place: Mar De La Cruz, Garden Park Elementary (TX)
- Division #2 (Grades 3-5)
- 1st Place: Ruhaani Kaur, Half Follow Hills Central School District (NY)
- 2nd Place: Anthony Russo, North Babylon (NY)
- 3rd Place: Ma'Riyah Dudley, Edgewood Independent School District (TX)
- Division #3 (Grades 6-8)
- 1st Place (and overall winner): Avrie Siedschlag, Coons Rapid Middle School (MN)
- 2nd Place: Lauren Wood, Lake Shore Central Schools (NY)
- 3rd Place: Daisy Cribb, Williams Township School (NC)
- Division #4 - Special Education (Grades K- 12)
- 1st Place: Javari Jackson, Everman Independent School District (TX)
- 2nd Place: Jerrold Pitzer, Havana High School (IL)
- 3rd Place: Dacey Jackson, Bay Springs Middle (GA)
- Division #5 - CAD (Computer Aided Drawing)
- 1st Place: Gavin Blankenship, Sussex Technical High School (DE)
Congratulations, Avrie and all the divisional winners!
The 2023-24 poster contest theme will be: Driving Safely Into the Future. Entries for the 2023-24 National School Bus Safety poster contest may be submitted anytime between October 2, 2023 – April 1, 2024. Complete guidelines and submission information can be found by visiting: https://www.napt.org/postercontest.
Please Note: The National School Bus Safety Poster Contest and National School Bus Safety Week are two different events. Artwork created for and evaluated as part of the poster contest becomes the theme for the subsequent National School Bus Safety Week. This annual event is held during the third full week in October each year.
About NSBSW Poster Contest: The centerpiece of National School Bus Safety Week is the Poster Contest. Thousands of school districts in over 40 states participate in local and state-level competitions to select artwork that depicts school bus safety-related themes and encourages and promotes school bus safety. The winning posters are used to promote safer school transportation for everyone.
About National School Bus Safety Week: Held during the third full week of October each year, National School Bus Safety Week is an active and evolving public education program and an excellent way for parents, students, teachers, motorists, school bus operators, school administrators, and other interested parties - to join forces and address the importance of school bus safety. Designed to promote school bus safety, school districts throughout the country observe School Bus Safety Week.