NAPT® REGULATORY UPDATE
NTSB report and recommendations following the 2020 Decatur fatal crash and a message from Molly McGee-Hewitt, PhD, CAE.As the new year begins, we want to share with you the recently completed National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) report following the 2020 Decatur fatal crash where a school bus driver and one student were killed and several other students sustained injuries of varying degrees.
Please take the time to review the details below.
NAPT®, working with our consultant Peter Mannella, is currently forming a Public Policy and Legislative Advocacy Committee. This committee, along with NAPT® and Foundation leadership, will continue to play an important role in our review of NTSB recommendations and reports as well as proposed legislation or regulations. Our goal is to serve you, our members, by providing valuable information, professional training opportunities, and the ability to voice and share your opinions on key legislative or regulatory issues. If you are interested in becoming involved in the committee, please email Janna Smeltzer, Director of Membership and Internal Relationships.
I would be remiss if I did not say that we, NAPT® leadership and professional staff, understand that leadership is a complex endeavor which becomes even more complex in the public policy and legislative arena. With that, I offer you, our members, this:
- We will respect differing viewpoints on key issues.
- We will keep student safety as our primary objective.
- We will endeavor to ensure that all voices offering supporting or opposing viewpoints are heard and taken under careful consideration before any decisions are made.
- We will continue to serve our members and the industry at large on all fronts by supporting our mission of empowering and supporting the pupil transportation profession by providing communication, leadership, education, advocacy, and resources.
With great respect,
Molly McGee-Hewitt, PhD, CAE
Executive Director and CEO
NTSB Report and Recommendation
NAPT® recently received a communication from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) containing recommendations of the board relating to a fatal crash. As is the practice of the NTSB, the full report included recommendations not only to NHTSA as a federal regulatory agency but also to state governments and professional associations representing the industry.
NTSB has offered NAPT®, as well as our fellow national associations, the following:
- Recommendation letter, stating: inform your members of the need to periodically review onboard video event recorder information to ensure that students engage in safe transportation behaviors on school buses, including sitting properly and wearing seat belts, when available, and that the members use this information to improve the bus safety training provided to drivers, students, and parents. (H-22-25) (Section 2.5.3)
- Article on enhancing school bus safety, offering guidance for school transportation officials, regulators, and states.This article is without editorial comment or modification.