Passenger Crash Protection & Belts on Buses
DISCLAIMER: The National Association for Pupil Transportation (NAPT) presents the information in this section of our website as a service to our members. It is not intended for members of the general public. It should not be perceived by anyone as legal advice or as a substitute for the particularized advice of an attorney. Anyone visiting this site seeking guidance, especially legal advice or assistance, should contact an attorney.
By the same token, NAPT does not guarantee the accuracy, reliability or currency of any of the information herein. Similarly, we provide links to other sites that we believe may be useful or informative but we make no guarantee concerning the accuracy, reliability or currency of the information found there. Links to third party sites or information are not intended as, and should not be interpreted by you as constituting or implying our endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation of the third party information, products or services found there.
HOW YOU MAY USE THESE MATERIALS: Internet users, including members of the general public, may download, use and copy the materials found in this section of the NAPT website for your personal, noncommercial use only, provided that all copies that you make of the material must bear any copyright, trademark or other proprietary notice located on the site. Except as authorized in this paragraph, you are not being granted a license under any copyright, trademark, patent or other intellectual property right in the material found or described therein. All such rights are retained by NAPT, and/or any third party owner of such rights. You may not create framed links to the NAPT web pages without express written permission from NAPT.
The installation and use of seat belts in school buses has been a topic of discussion both within and outside the realm of school transportation for more than 40 years. NAPT has long been committed to doing everything we can to advance the discussion positively. Here is a chronological list of the public comments we have made about this topic over the last 13+ years.
- NAPT 2003 Statements Regarding PCP
- Remarks to Alabama Governor's Study Group on School Bus Seat Belts
- NAPT's Petition for Rulemaking RE: Passenger Crash Protection
- NPRM 2007 Press Release
- NHTSA Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Seating Systems, Occupant Crash Protection, Seat Belt Assembly Anchorages, School Bus Passenger Seating and Crash Protection?
- Final Rule on School Bus Passenger Crash Protection Requirements of the FMVSS No. 222
- NTSB 9-9-13 Recommendations on Chesterfield, NJ & Port St. Lucie, Florida investigations
- NAPT-NSTA Joint Response to NTSB Recommendations H-13-35 & H-13-36
- NAPT-NSTA Response to NTSB Chesterfield and Port St Lucie
- Correspondence from NHTSA Office of Crashworthiness Standards to NAPT-NSTA
- NAPT-NSTA Follow up to NSTB
- Seat Belts on Buses? You Decide. School Bus Fleet - October, 2014
- NAPT 10-26-15 STATEMENT RE: SEAT BELTS on SCHOOL BUSES
- NAPT-NSTA 12-21-15 Response to NHTSA
- Response to the November 2015 Remarks by NHTSA Administrator Mark Rosekind Regarding Seat Belts on Large School Buses
- 2016 NHTSA Data Collection
- NAPT-NSTA 6-2-16 Response to NHTSA Administrator Rosekind
- Statement by NAPT at NHTSA December 2016 School Bus Safety Meeting
- NHTSA DOCKET NO. NHTSA-2016-0121 Reports, Forms and Record Keeping Requirements